Raising awareness of menopause in the school workplace – why is it important?
Schools are key employers, and teachers and support staff have the right to work in a healthy and safe environment. One in which an inclusive culture is both celebrated and cultivated.
However, in some cases, tight budgets, time restrictions and curriculum constraints can create barriers to schools introducing menopause support.
But this is an issue which schools really need to be addressing, urgently and importantly. The facts speak for themselves:
- The average age for women to reach menopause in the UK is 51
- Perimenopause and symptoms can begin years earlier
- Symptoms can continue up to and beyond the age of 55 for some women
- About 80% of menopausal women are in work
- Of these, 3 in 4 experience menopausal symptoms, with 1 in 4 experiencing serious symptoms1